A toast to my folks who have always made friday at five so pleasurable.
- 2 1/2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth
- 1 green olive or lemon twist for garnish
- orange or Angostura bitters (optional)
- Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice cubes.
- Stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Add a dash of orange or Angostura bitters if desired
- Garnish with the olive or lemon twist.
There are many variations on the classic martini that are a personal preference:
- Dry Martini- Traditionally uses more dry vermouth, however recent trends define a Dry Martini as using little or no vermouth.
- Bone Dry or Desert Martini- No vermouth.
- Gibson– Garnish with a cocktail onion.
- Perfect Martini– Use equal parts of sweet and dry vermouth.
- Dirty Martini– Add a small amount of olive brine.
- 50-50–Use equal parts of gin and dry vermouth.
- Vodka Martini- Replace gin with vodka for a nice alternative.