Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
*Makes one cocktail
1 lime wedge
Coarse sea salt for rim
2 ounces of tequila, preferably Sauza Hornitos
1-1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
3/4 ounce orange liqueur
1/2 ounce simple syrup
3/4 ounce blood orange puree (see below)
1 lime wheel
1 blood orange wheel optional
- Moisten the outside edges of a rocks glass with a lime wedge.
- Sprinkle a little salt on a small plate and dip the moistened rim in the salt to coat it lightly.
- Fill the glass and a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, simple syrup and blood orange puree and shake vigorously.
- Strain into the glass, garnish with lime and blood orange wheels.
Blood Orange Puree
*Makes 3/4 cup
4 blood oranges, peeled, segmented and seeded
2 tablespoon simple syrup
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a blender or food processor, combine orange segments, simple syrup and lemon juice. Puree until smooth.
- Taste and adjust amounts of simple syrup and lemon juice as needed.
*Makes 1-1/2 cups
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into a glass jar and cover, refrigerating until needed.