Birdie: A splendid way to spend the afternoon — napping in the design office at Sage Atelier.
Frances has a new sister. This precious little girl is our new addition to Sage Atelier.
Introducing, Lady Bird — “Birdie” for short.
We adore glass domes. Such a stylish way to display a birds nest, sea coral, a grouping of succulents, or whatever floats your boat. Frances found a terrific source, The Evolution Store, but please note: she’s not too fond of the taxidermy section.
TOM & JERRY = lots and lots of crazy delicious calories
Contributed by David Wondrich
- Boiling water
- 1 tbsp Tom & Jerry Batter*
- 1 oz Cognac
- 1 oz Dark rum
- Whole milk, hot
- Garnish: Nutmeg, clove and allspice
- Glass: Coffee mug or Tom & Jerry cup
Rinse a small coffee mug (or, indeed, a white ceramic Tom & Jerry cup) with boiling water to warm it and discard the water. Add the batter, cognac and rum to the cup and fill with hot milk. Garnish with a mixture of 2 parts freshly grated nutmeg to 1 part each ground clove and ground allspice.
*Tom & Jerry Batter
- 12 Eggs, separated
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- 2 lb Sugar
- 2 oz Dark Jamaican-style rum
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
In a nonreactive bowl, whip the egg whites twith the cream of tartar until they form stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar, rum and vanilla (if using). When the mixture is completely liquid, fold it into the whites.
David Wondrich is the author of Punch: The Delights (and Dangers) of the Flowing Bowl and Esquire magazine’s drinks correspondent. He is also a Liquor.com advisor.
Thanks to Jeanie Bean Handknits out of Chicago, our antique white flower belt buckle was highlighted in her treasury. Don’t miss out on her sensational store filled with a whole array of fine knits and felted products.
We’re loving all that were featured with special emphasis on:
- Studio KMO, Karen O’Leary’s modern map art is simply magnificent.
- Design By Kanchisa from Pathum Thani, Thailand is working their magic with this snow white cotton dress. Love, love, love it!
- All Organic Textiles offers top of the line organic cotton towels that are sure to be a staple in your home.